Priyaz Creations

Priyaz Creations

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Diwali Time = Rangoli Time

Since I was a young girl, I have observed the tradition of decorating our home with beautiful rangolis made by my Maa (I got this artistic streak from her). She used to use paints for making rangolis. These would last almost an year till the next Diwali and were such a beautiful sight.

When I was old enough my Maa taught me to properly hold and use a 1" paint bush to make these super sized, coloful rangolis. Then I made my own supersized (about 4 ft. diameter) rangoli with paints when I was in 12th . By the way I did mention that my drawing is BAD, so I don't draw the designs  prioirly, I just let them develop when I make them, so this rangoli was indeed a feat for me because since I was using paints, I HAD to draw the sketch, it was a beautiful peacock inside a circle. It's such a shame that I don't have any pics of any of those.

However, when I went to Pune for my postgrad studies, I was exposed to the beautiful "Sanskaar Bharati" rangolis. I was mesmerized how beautiful, complex but at the same time how effortless they looked. This was back in 2008. 

But I could not find these rangoli powders in Kanpur when I came back home. However, when I went to Delhi for my job, I found these rangoli powders in the makets there. So I bought some to try my hand. And these two are my very first Sanskaar Bharati rangolis that I made on Diwali.


Diwali 2010

Diwali 2010
Whenever I am away from home, I make sure that I celebrate Diwali at my hometown with my family. No matter where I am in India, I always come back home, even if it means that I to travel 500 kms without reservation in trains or even if I reach home at 7 or 8 pm, just before Diwali pooja starts. So sometimes I might be too tired or I might not get enough time to make a supersized, huge rangoli (like the way I like it) or even make any rangoli at all.

Diwali 2011
(each grey mosaic tile is 1 ft X 1 ft., therefore, this rangoli is almost 2 ft X 2 ft))
Diwali 2012
In 2014, I was lucky enough to be in my hometown 20 days before Diwali so I had enough time on my hands to look for Rangoli powders in local market. I was amazed to see that now these beautiful, bright coloured rangoli powders are easy available here in Kanpur too. Since I had enough time and resources this Diwali, so this was perfect opportunity for me to fulfill my desire to make a huge Sanskaar Bharati! And this is what I made after 4 laborious hours. (it's diameter is 6 ft.)

Diwali 2014
(diameter of 6 ft.)
In making this particular rangoli, I used only 2 stencils, the white designs in 8 outer red circles), rest everything is done by hand.

Diwali 2014

I love to make rangolis, either by paints, rangoli powders or even with white/yellow aipan (paste of finely grounded rice). I wish every one celebrate these joyous moments with their family, friends and loved one!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment